Tuesday, August 27, 2013

5 months and I Dye'd!

So on Sunday, 8/25 my babies became 5 months old! I still love them as much as the first day and I find myself playing in them more and more lately feeling for changes in textures or some possible budding.  The back is definitely farther ahead in the process compared to the front of my head (where I have looser curls.) A few are pretty firm but I still have my curly ends.

This long period of laying in wait reminds me of my transitioning from relaxed to natural. After about 8 months I began to hate the two textures and decided to big chop. Too bad there's no choice of chopping here or I think I would have been about ready to get those scissors. Either way, I am so very anxious to have these locs mature.

On Monday morning, (yes before work LOL) I decided to color my hair.  It was returning to that ashy black/brown color (which I cant stand) from the frequent washes.  I know some people may say, "you're not suppose to color yet its too early" but I have deemed this MY journey and I didn't see any harm in it.  I used Clairol's Textures and Tones in Silken Black and I only utilized one box.  (I thought about using a rinse but with the amount of times I douse my head with water-- that would have been pointless).  I followed the instructions listed and kept my hair covered in a plastic shower cap for 30 mins to allow the color to process and then I rinsed like mad. I squeezed the locs to make sure all the product was out and then shampooed with my V05 Clarifying shampoo.

Now after the two washes my hair felt like hay-- hard and dry.  So, I used the conditioner that came in the box. Initially, I was skeptical because I haven't used any conditioner and I didn't want slippage.  But I opted to go along with it and I am happy that I did.  My hair felt twenty times better and it still feels just as soft two days later.  Until using the conditioner, I didn't realize how much I've missed using it.  I did have some slippage towards the front of my edges but that happens with or without conditioner. 


I may or may not have slowed down my locking process by doing this but I don't think it was moving that fast to begin with. They're all still here and accounted for so I count that a blessing.  Next month makes half a year that I've kept up with this and I am very proud of my own determination and will to stick-wit-it.  I know I'll be extremely happy when its all done. 


Until then,
.Lata Lovvies.

6 comments:

  1. Yup! It's Your Journey! And we all learn from each other as we experiment! Glad to be in good company, lol! BTW I am an avid believer in tea conditioning....using chamomile tea to spritz and condition my locks. Others can be used as well(rosemary/rose tip), it's your preference. If your locks get crunchy try it! You might like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely give this a try! Im always up for trying new things and I have some chamomile on hand too.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on reaching your 5 months mark! Your babies are looking great! I've had my BLs for 4 months now, so I'm enjoying this journey with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I am so happy to hear it! This way I can compare snd contrast in real time

      Delete