Monday, July 22, 2013

Why Locs?

Why Locs, why locs?

So, I Know I have already spoken about my fascination with the hair style, in and of itself but I have not spoken about what truly made me turn from loose natural to loc'd natural.

Let me first start off by saying that I loved my loose natural hair. I have a looser curl pattern so it curled up really effortlessly without much product-- and I have dabbled in my share of products while relapsing from being a PJ (product junkie).  I tried out various brands of styling products like Miss Jessies and Shea Moisture, which happen to be my favorites. I also tried deep conditioners, leave in conditioners, shampoos, the whole nine.  It began to be just me spending money for no good reason since I would always run back to my favorites. 

So, I told myself that I would stop experimenting with products and stick to a selected few that I knew worked. In that way, I saved money.

My go-to styles were twist-outs, buns and mini twists. I would protective style my hair every few months to change things up.
Coming up on the new year, 2013, I was getting really annoyed with my hair for a few reasons:

     1). It was getting longer and unmanageable. A pain in my toosh some days-- although I was ecstatic with my hair growth, I was not too happy on wash days when having to part and detangle. #ugh
    2). I was beginning to hate styling it all the time. If I didnt set my hair at night,  I would have to rock out with an afro the next day. No problem there unless I wasnt feeling it. And then, if I did wear the afro, what a pain it would be to detangle.
     3). The time constraints. When natural and with lengthier hair, one has to literally have a wash DAY. Between sectioning, washing in sections, rinsing in sections, conditioning in sections, rinsing again, and then styling in sections. Twas driving me mad.

I longed for something simpler. After some time, twist-outs, braid outs, all the manipulation put into your hair to get it to curl a certain way gets old.  The ability to get up and go was everything I ever wanted, which was why I would protective style every so often.  Coming up on my decision to lock my hair in March,  I was wearing my hair in mini twists. I loved them and redid them every 3 weeks to a month just so it wouldn't tangle or, essentially loc.

That's when it dawned on me! An epiphany! Why am I fighting what my hair already wants to do on its own. The tangles, my twists meshing together after a month- HELLO! LOL! its my hair in its most natural state. So why not take the plunge? And thats exactly what I did. And I love and have loved every little itty, bitty minute of it.

Now dont get me wrong, some days, I hate it and others I don't but that's with any and everything.  Take it one day at a time. And it's something to look forward to, the fruits of your labor-- knowing that one day, I'll have locs down my back and all the time in the world because I wont be sectioning my life away. LOL!

Until Next time Lovvies.

P.S. Upcoming posts include a montage of photos of mu hair journey, why I went the microloc route and more! Please stay posted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment