Thursday, April 18, 2013

Common Misconception

So I thought I would address this little discrepancy so that I wont be shot down by the sisterlock police. I DO NOT have sisterlocks. I have microlocks that mimick the size and grid of sisterlocks.

What's the beef??
There is a very nice distinction that is to be stressed and rightfully so. Sisterlocks are started by interlocking strands of hair from tip to root. It is very time consuming and quite intricate. I have always admired them and also yearned for them myself. However, the cost I was looking at for my length of hair was pushing on $1300 for the install. (Yea, I double-checked and the decimal is in the right place) so for me it was either wait to start locks a year from now or to cut my hair down to 3" where it would only cost me $500. Ehh, I passed. I was way too anxious to begin this journey.

Being a DIYer at heart, I did my research and looked up ways on how to start my hair just like sisterlocks. And anyone that has tried this know how #hushhush anything sisterlock can be. Welp, turns out I figured out how to interlock it just like sisterlocks but it took waaaay too long for me to do just one lock (im talking 3-5mins-- im not a  professional at it/ nor was I trained).
Thus, I took matters into my own hands and started my locks with itty-bitty microbraids. I followed the grid pattern and size of sisterlocks so that, when they mature, they may resemble them. However, I cannot and will not claim them to be as such.

Nevertheless,  I did not take out the 12 in the back that were started by interlocking.  I figured I would compared the differences as my journey progresses.

So I hope I made that clear enough lol.

Ciao Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment